Here at Victorian Arcade we are proud to offer such a wide variety of niche independent traders all under one roof. One example of this is Human Canvas – a tattoo and piercing studio which has become a popular haven for those looking for a meaningful way to express themselves through unique body art.
Below, Saz the owner of Human Canvas offers her top tips for choosing the right tattoo for you.
Choosing a tattoo can be stressful. Making the wrong decision can be painful and costly. There are many factors to consider before making the final decision including size, colour, meaning, style and placement. Another thing to take time considering is where to go and the artist you choose.
We always say the bottom line is to simply take time and get plenty of information about tattoos. Pop in to your local studio and arrange an appointment just for a chat, get a feel for the place. Would you feel comfortable and safe there? Are the artists well trained? If they have been open long enough, ask for recent client testimonials. This is a great way to gage how other people got on in the studio.
We are a custom art studio providing quality tattoos, original pieces of art work and piercings. Here at Human Canvas we promote individuality and expression through beautiful tattoo designs created just for you. Choosing the right artist can be just as difficult as choosing the tattoo itself.
The first step is to decide what style of tattoo you would like and then find an artist that specialises in that particular niche.
Styles can range from portrait, traditional, Japanese, realism, black and grey and many others.
Spend time researching and looking at artist's portfolios. Portfolios are a great way to look into an artist's style and see the types of tattoos they've done before.
Choosing the right design can take months and taking your time to decide isn't a bad thing. Start by researching and checking out artist's pages or look at friends and family's tattoos to work out what you like and don't. Many people suggest finding a design you connect with – for the first timer this might be the most important tip. Choosing something atheistically pleasing is important but getting a piece with meaning is key. Connecting with the artwork means you'll never regret getting the piece and for people who've already had their first time tattoo, venturing out into quirky and bold pieces are often more preferred.
The placement of your tattoo on your body is very important. Do you want it to show up every day or do you want it covered up most of the time? Start by thinking about the clothes you wear, how your hair is worn and the activities you participate in and remember to think about how your body will grow or age.
We often suggest getting a henna tattoo of your chosen design before getting the real thing. Henna can last between 1 and 3 weeks giving you a great opportunity to be 100% sure your piece will be in the right place and if it's not, we are happy to try another henna in a different place before getting the real thing.
Once you've sat through your tattooing session and are completely happy with the final piece, the aftercare is just as important as choosing your design.
1) Leave your bandage covering on for one to three hours after the tattoo. The tattoo artist will be able to advise you exactly how long depending on the size of the design.
2) When it can be washed, make sure to cleanse your tattoo several times a day with soft, non-scented antibacterial soap. This will help avoid potential infection.
3) After washing the tattoo apply ointment. Applying a moisturising ointment will ensure you skin stays hydrated and will help the scaring heal faster.
4) Avoid wearing tight clothing for the first two weeks. Tight clothing could mean you run the risk of scabbing and in loss when clothes rub against the tattoo. If possible, avoid sleeping on your tattoo so you don't agitate the healing process.
5) Continue all of these steps until the process is healed. Unlike many other tattoo studios, Human Canvas invite everyone back who feels they need help with the aftercare of their tattoo.
Human Canvas not only create beautiful pieces of body art but they're truly members of the Walsall community. If you are looking at getting your first tattoo or even your next one give the Saz and her team a call today on 01922 625235